Monday, December 19, 2011

Combining Coupons with Clearance Prices

I went to Walmart tonight to finish up my Christmas shopping, picking up small items to fill my children's stockings. $184.00. Gulp. That was my total before coupons.  My daughter Katie looked at me, alarmed.  "Look what you did, adding your purchase to mine!" I joked with her. (she was going to pay me back her $5 at home) Then I handed the coupons to the cashier, and she started scanning them. Final total: $32.01, and $11.38 of that was the tax on my order.

How did I do it?  By combining the $7.00 clearance price on these boxes of Centrum Omega-3 supplements with my $7.00 coupons. 

Since the coupons expire on Christmas I used them all in one transaction, which caused the register to lock up and require a CSM key.  This is no problem in the larger Walmarts I frequent, but it kind of freaked out the CSM when she arrived at the register, and she ended up scrutinizing both the coupons and the supplements for a very long time before she used her key in the register, sighing while she did so. I'm not sure who the sigh was meant for; the cashier who called her or me, the transgressor.  Either way, when I do my couponing workshop here in Manchester in February, I am going to have to warn attendees that they may face some minor opposition and annoyed expressions when they use large amounts of coupons in our local stores. I will also teach them to always check clearance aisles for deals like this.

Hmmm, wonder what my adult children would think of one of these boxes in their stocking?

No comments:

Post a Comment