Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wal-Mart Clearance Shopping, Part II

If you were married to me for 32 years like David was, you would have known I would go back to Wal-Mart the next day after I loaded up on the amazing $1 deals. Deal-shopping and couponing was so much a part of mine and David's relationship that I've really had a difficult time garnering much enthusiasm for either since his death in March.  I have yet to make it through a Hy-Vee store and my poor coupon binder is getting dusty from lack of use. I have felt alternately guilty (paying full price for products!) and deeply saddened by the loss of something that had been deeply integral in my everyday life for so many years.  Just as David and I have hit every book sale in the 50-mile range for over 15 years, and now I can't bring myself to go to a book sale, I just am not enjoying shopping much anymore.

Hitting that $1 clearance aisle did something for me, besides fill a couple totes for my attic gift stash; it brought back a joy that I'd worried was gone forever.

I had fun.

Not only that, but I went back the next morning and was pleased to see they had added some things to their clearance aisle. (someone asked me after the last column where they could find the clearance aisle in a store like Wal-Mart and the answer is nearly always at the back of the store) Unfortunately, these finds are likely regional, as our store is remodeling to become a superstore, so don't run to your nearest Walmart and figure you will find the same good deals.

Pictured are the beautiful folders I found for just 25-cents. I'd been buying the cheap, plain colored folders for my writing workshop students, but these beautiful folders will really add to the freebies each student gets when they take my class. Each folder will contain handouts and valuable resource information, along with samples of query letters. I always give prizes in my workshops, too.  One attendee at each couponing workshop wins a basket full of health and beauty products and the prizes at the writing workshops usually involve nice journals and writing books. Then there were two acrylic oil paint sets that come with one canvas, priced at just $5 each and some scrapbook sticker sets that normally retail for $4 for just $1. And the Coleman $29 jacket? Just one dollar! The HP ink was a super deal at just $10 and I couldn't resist the Italian leather NOOK Color protective cover with soft interior lining. On the front are these words, "A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it."~ Samuel Johnson.  The regular retail price was $39.88, and it was on sale for only $5!  Do I have a Nook? No. Know anyone with a Nook? I don't think so. But this beautiful cover makes me want to win the Nook Color our local library is giving away to one adult in the summer reading program. Who knows? Maybe that will be me.

Yes, I enjoyed this shopping trip.  Yes, I miss my shopping partner. Did I go back again today? No, I think I've done enough damage to my pocketbook for one week.

Sometimes, a deal is too good to pass up, but get too many of those good deals, and it still adds up to $100 total on items I wouldn't have purchased otherwise, except maybe for folders and HP ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment